After Christmas and eating cured food until you burst, it is normal for you to look for ideas to use leftover Iberian ham and at Enrique Tomás , aware of this, we are going to give you some clues so that you do not have to get rid of anything at all.
Let's go there!
Three ideas to take advantage of leftover Iberian ham
One of the best ways to enjoy Iberian ham is alone, accompanying it with a little bread and oil, but this time we are going to recommend three dishes in which to use this delicacy as an ingredient so that you can add those pieces to your dishes with which You do not know what to do.
To begin with, we must bear in mind that the fat of the Iberian ham is the best flavor enhancer in the world because it is encapsulated oil, so we are not even going to get rid of it!
You will see how the flavor it gives to your dishes conquers you completely!
1. Scrambled Eggs with Ham Fat
As we have already mentioned before, we are not even going to throw away the fat from the ham as we are going to use it to prepare some delicious scrambled eggs in just ten minutes.
All you need for two people is:
- 1 piece of ham fat of 50 gr. sliced
- 3 eggs
- 150 gr. of ham tacos
- ground black pepper
- The first thing you have to do is put the fat from the ham in the pan and, meanwhile, beat the eggs. Sprinkle some ground black pepper on them.
- As soon as you see that the fat has melted, you can pour the eggs into the pan and with the help of a spoon stir the contents of it.
- After five minutes, when you see that they already have consistency, transfer them to the plates and put the ham cubes on top. And ready! Give your body joy Macarena with this delicious dish!
2. Iberian ham and cheese croquettes
The Iberian ham croquettes are a real vice and that is, they are so good that no one can resist them! However, on this occasion we are going to slightly vary the recipe to prepare other more original but just as tasty recipes, the Iberian ham and cheese croquettes and, since here it is about not wasting anything, you can use in this preparation those slices of ham that They've dried up a bit. They will be just as good!
All you need for four people is:
- 200 gr. Iberian ham
- 80 gr. of cured cheese
- 50 gr. of butter
- 1 small onion
- 60 gr. Of flour
- 800 ml. milk
- ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Ham and vegetable broth
- Mushroom soup with ham shavings
- Start by putting the ham shavings in a pan with the milk and leave it there for fifteen minutes. Take advantage of this time to peel and chop the onion as small as you can and as soon as you have it, put it in another pan with a little oil. As soon as it is poached, which will only take three minutes, add the butter and, when you see that it has melted, add the flour. Take advantage of this time to grate the cheese.
- Give everything a couple of turns and if the ham and milk are ready, put them in the pan where you have the onion, also put the cheese. Season to your liking and add a little nutmeg. Stir so that everything is mixed well and leave it on the heat until it thickens, fifteen minutes will be enough.
- When you see that the mixture is solid, turn off the heat and put it on a plate. Reserve it in the fridge for at least an hour so that it finishes taking consistency and then it will be time to make the Iberian ham and cheese croquettes.
- Beat the two eggs, heat a finger of oil and spread the breadcrumbs on a flat surface. Afterwards, the procedure is very simple: take a spoon and make a béchamel ball, pass it through the egg, then through the bread and, finally, put it in the pan. You have to repeat these steps until you finish with the béchamel but when frying the croquettes avoid putting too many together in the pan so that they do not stick to each other.
As soon as you have them ready and try them, you will love them!
3. Cream of mushroom soup with ham
Ham is an excellent companion to some vegetables and, although it goes perfectly with artichokes or potatoes, this time we are going to use it to prepare a mushroom soup. The
ingredients for four people are:
- 100 gr. Iberian ham shavings
- 300 gr. of mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 100 gr. of butter
- 1 l. vegetable broth
- 250 ml. liquid cream
- Black pepper
- 1 sprig of parsley
- Peel and chop the onions and mushrooms as small as you can, meanwhile, you have to wash them very well, remove the trunk and slice them. Booking.
- Now put the butter in a pot and, as soon as it melts, add the onion. Wait a couple of minutes for it to clear up a bit and then add the mushrooms. Leave everything on the fire for five minutes.
- Now pour in the vegetable broth and leave it on the heat at medium power for twenty minutes. After this time, salt and pepper and add the cream. Stir and, as soon as you see that it starts to boil, turn off the heat.
- To prevent your cream from having lumps, pass it through the mixer and then put it back in the pot. To finish, add the ham shavings, set the heat to a minimum and wait two minutes. Then chop the parsley and put it on top of your plate, delicious!
And here are our three cured recipes!
As you can see, it is becoming more and more important in gastronomy and renowned chefs, such as Ferran Adrià, have been using it in their recipes for decades. The prestigious Spaniard even created frozen ham fat powder, among other innovative dishes, so follow his example and use any of these ideas to take advantage of leftover Iberian ham, you'll see what flavor it gives to your dishes!
And if you want to know more about the use of ham in Spanish cooking, be sure to consult our latest book Jamón para Dummies , where in addition to explaining everything about the world of Iberian ham, we will teach you what we know about the use of ham in gastronomy. .
But hey! We know that sometimes it is difficult to have some serrano ham left over at home, especially if it is the best ham in the world ! so if you still want to cook some of these recipes or follow our tips for making use of leftover ham, at Enrique Tomás you have a range of products in which you will surely find the perfect ingredient, so be sure to take a look at our website where buying ham online is easy and fast.