Joints can wear out over the years and lead to problems like osteoarthritis. That's why it's very important to take care of them properly before this happens. Below, we give you some tips on how to take care of your joints: maintain a healthy and balanced diet, engage in physical exercise, and reduce risk factors like obesity or joint overload.
We'll also tell you how foods rich in proteins and minerals like ham contribute to strengthening the joints.
Following a Balanced Diet
As always, it's vital to maintain a healthy and balanced diet by consuming foods that provide a balance of nutrients. In fact, this not only helps take care of your joints but also allows you to reduce risk factors that can harm them, like obesity or overweight.
Although there are no foods that directly influence your joints, you can consider those that provide the necessary nutrients to strengthen cartilage, such as vitamin C, muscles like proteins, or bones like calcium and magnesium. Additionally, vitamins A and D are also vital for strengthening joint tissue.
In essence, maintaining a balanced diet contributes to joint well-being and, indisputably, overall well-being.
Recommended Foods for Joint Care
Consuming foods with anti-inflammatory properties in our diet will help reduce our inflammatory context, improve nutrient absorption, and may prevent inflammation of joint tissues.
- Fruits rich in vitamin C such as kiwis, oranges, or lemons are good foods for collagen formation (the main component of cartilage).
- Nuts, rich in minerals like magnesium and a source of fiber, healthy fats, and plant protein.
- Fatty fish, which provides omega-3 and is therefore a food with great anti-inflammatory properties.
- Olive oil, which besides being rich in healthy fats, contains antioxidants that benefit tissue construction.
- Legumes, leafy green vegetables, and whole grains, which are also sources of minerals like magnesium.
Iberian Ham Protects the Joints
As ham experts, we couldn't forget the role of Iberian ham as a food for joint care. What factors make it a recommended food for strengthening them?
- Its high content of quality protein contributes to strengthening muscle tissues and indirectly influences the good condition of the joints.
- In particular, acorn-fed ham contains a high percentage of oleic acid, the same fat found in olive oil. This type of unsaturated fat also acts as an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, it has a positive impact on our cardiovascular health and supports our immune system.
- On the other hand, ham also contains minerals like potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium, which strengthen bone structure.
Other Keys to Joint Care
In addition to maintaining a healthy and balanced diet, it's very important to move daily and/or engage in physical activity to protect your joints. Regular exercise not only benefits the joints but also has many health advantages overall.
What are the benefits of physical exercise?
- Helps regulate blood pressure, blood sugar levels...
- Helps maintain good bone density
- Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Helps control weight
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves sleep quality
- Benefits for mental health.
Physical activity not only prevents imbalances but also improves health, quality of life, and prevents the development of diseases. However, when it comes to joints, remember that it's important to carry out appropriate warm-up before exercising, as well as perform appropriate stretching after each exercise.
Another aspect to consider is avoiding smoking and reducing the consumption of toxic substances like alcohol. These elements can promote inflammation and joint pain.
Lastly, we also want to emphasize the importance of resting properly by aiming for around 8 hours of sleep and maintaining correct postural habits. Keys like keeping your head upright, shoulders back, and spine straight are among the most important.
If you follow a good diet, engage in regular and responsible physical exercise, rest properly, and maintain correct postural habits, you're doing things right to protect and care for your joints.
If you want to learn more about good nutrition and health, we invite you to read our posts under the category "Enrique Tomás Takes Care of You."