With the arrival of Halloween, the craving for creamy soups begins, and of course, we always add the traditional touch with a bit of ham, which always works well and tastes even better.
This Halloween, we propose this delicious recipe using a seasonal ingredient like pumpkin, and we've dared to create a recipe that we love, full of contrasting flavors. The combination of flavors might surprise you, but the sweetness of the pumpkin, the acidity of the orange, and the saltiness of the ham create an explosion of taste on the palate.
Now, let's dive in:
- 1/2 kg of pumpkin
- 100g of onion
- 1/2 liter of vegetable broth
- 50g of butter
- 100g of whipped cream
- Zest of half an orange
- A pinch of salt
- 4 slices of ham
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread for croutons
- Start by peeling and dicing the pumpkin. Be careful with the knife as pumpkin skin can be tough.
- Peel an orange and remove the white part from the inside of its skin to avoid bitterness.
- Cut the onion into julienne strips and add it to a saucepan with butter, along with the diced pumpkin and orange zest.
- Once slightly sautéed, add the vegetable broth and let it simmer over low heat.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and, meanwhile, take a piece of plastic wrap, add a few drops of oil, and create a pouch to hold the egg (white and yolk).
- You can use a drinking glass as a mold if it's easier for you.
- Place the pouch in the boiling water until the egg white is cooked and the yolk is slightly runny. Now, let's add the finishing touches:
- Place the croutons as a base in a deep plate and place the egg on top, followed by the slices of Iberian ham.
- Mix the whipped cream with the broth and pour it into the plate.
Enjoy your meal!
In this dish, we use Iberian ham as it provides a great contrast of flavors through ingredients such as the aromatic orange zest with its tangy notes and the sweet attributes of the pumpkin. These nuances are embraced and complemented by the flavors of this type of ham, creating a new sensation.
We use slices of ham since when you cut the egg and let the yolk flow, the ham slices are cut too, ensuring each bite includes a piece of ham and giving it more prominence.
Iberian ham is known for its incredible flavor, largely due to the marbled fat it contains. This unique feature comes from the Iberian pig's ability to infiltrate fat into the muscle, resulting in the distinctive taste we all love. It's full of nuances that never fail to leave an impression.
- Want to learn more about ham? Visit our blog