At Enrique Tomás, we like to innovate, and when it comes to enjoying ham, even more so! Following the advice of our team in Mexico, we have decided to experiment with a combination full of color and flavor. It's the avocado with ham, an explosive blend with Iberian bait ham as the star that will leave you with a delightful taste and undoubtedly surprise you.
Are you up for trying it?
Properties and Benefits of AvocadoIf you've heard that avocado is a fruit with high-fat content, it's true, but the fats it provides are healthy and beneficial for our heart health, much like acorn-fed Iberian ham!
Avocado has many nutritional properties, and we could write pages about it, but since our goal is to tell you about the fantastic combination of avocado with ham, we'll provide a brief summary of why eating avocado is a healthy habit.
- Superfood: Avocado is considered a superfood because it's incredibly nutritious. One piece of this delicious fruit contains more than 20 vitamins and minerals. Additionally, for every 100 grams of avocado, you're consuming 160 calories, 2 grams of protein, and 15 grams of healthy fats.
- Rich in Potassium: You've probably heard that nothing beats a banana for potassium, but the same 100 grams of avocado will provide you with 14% of the recommended daily dose of potassium, unlike the banana, which contains 10%.
- Heart-Healthy: The presence of oleic acid (the same found in ham and olive oil) in avocado provides a source of energy. Moreover, various studies have shown that avocado can significantly reduce total cholesterol levels, lower blood triglycerides by up to 20%, decrease LDL cholesterol by 22%, and increase HDL cholesterol (the "good" one) by up to 11%.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E helps our body prepare to protect itself against various diseases. It also has antioxidant properties that are very beneficial for our skin, making it softer and more flexible.
- Nutrient Absorption: By including avocado in your dishes, you ensure the more efficient absorption of certain nutrients present in other foods. This is why people who regularly eat avocado tend to be healthier than those who don't.
As you can see, avocado offers numerous benefits, and it's an easily incorporable food into your diet. It can help with weight loss and might even aid in cancer prevention.
Now, let's dive into the matter. Is the combination of avocado with ham any good? The answer is a resounding yes, and here's why. Avocado is a fruit with a unique, mild flavor that pairs perfectly with many foods.
Avocado with Ham
While in Western culture, we consume it as just another vegetable, using it in savory dishes, salads, sandwiches, pasta, and similar dishes, in other cultures, avocado is often used to make desserts and drinks. On the other hand, Iberian ham has an intense flavor with salty nuances, making it a perfect companion that enhances this flavor and makes it stand out.
This is what you'll achieve when you mix avocado with ham. Don't limit yourself when creating - whether you want to place a slice of ham on a slice of avocado or try something more elaborate.
Here are some ideas to include in your menu that will make your mouth water:
- Avocado Toast with Ham: Toasted bread, your favorite kind, finely sliced avocado, and some ham slices on top. Remember that the ham will already provide enough salt to the dish, but if you think it needs more, try adding a couple of flakes of salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Avocado Wrapped in Ham Strips: For this dish, we recommend using Gran Reserva ham. Cut avocado wedges, sprinkle a bit of pepper, wrap them with ham slices, leaving the edges free, and bake in the oven for a few minutes.
- Fresh Ham and Avocado Salad: A delicious and elegant fresh salad made with arugula, ham, and avocado. For the dressing, prepare an olive emulsion with balsamic vinegar.
- Cold Avocado Soup with Ham: Make a broth by boiling leeks in water with a ham bone. Once you have it, blend it with avocado until you get a creamy texture. Season to taste and serve it well chilled with a few ham shavings.
- Avocado Omelet with Ham Shavings: Sauté the ham shavings for a few minutes in a pan, add thinly sliced avocado, and stir everything together before adding beaten eggs.
However, remember that at Enrique Tomás, we recommend using Gran Reserva ham or Iberian Bait ham for these types of dishes. For us, products that require as much time and care in their preparation as acorn-fed ham should be enjoyed on their own or with a good wine.
Enjoy your meal!