Cured cheese skewers, also known as queso kushiage, are an ideal dish to serve as an appetizer for any meal or dinner. But, do you want to know how to make mind-blowing Manchego cheese skewers?
At Enrique Tomás, we'll show you the trick to make them amazing!
Manchego Cheese Skewers Recipe
For the skewers
- 300 gr. of Manchego cheese
- 4 small tablespoons of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Skewer sticks
For the sauce
- 2 small tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Ground pepper
- Begin by cutting the cheese into finger-sized pieces, about a centimeter wide each, and carefully place them on the skewer sticks. Do it slowly to avoid them breaking.
- Beat the egg in a bowl, and lay out the flour and breadcrumbs on separate flat surfaces.
- Pass each skewer through the flour, then the egg, and finally the breadcrumbs. Ensure they are all coated well for a truly crispy texture. Once they are ready, cover them and refrigerate for fifteen minutes.
- After this time, heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Once it's hot, fry the skewers for about five minutes each. Don't overcrowd the pan; do it in batches to prevent them from touching each other.
- As soon as they are golden on all sides, remove them from the pan and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. While waiting for them to cool, let's make the sauce.
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a mortar and mix vigorously. Taste occasionally to see if you need to add more salt.
- Then, once they have cooled and your sauce is ready, they are perfect to serve! Arrange them on a plate with the sauce on the side, and you'll be licking your fingers!
What to Serve with Manchego Cheese Kushiage
As we've just seen, this preparation is very simple and takes just over twenty minutes. One of the many reasons we like to make it at Enrique Tomás is because it serves as a midday appetizer or as an appetizer for a good lunch or dinner.
For example, if you're having paella for lunch, it might be better to opt for a country-style salad. However, if you're going to enjoy a wide variety of tapas, these cheese skewers fit perfectly!
Imagine some patatas bravas, a platter of cold cuts or acorn-fed Iberian ham, Russian salad, and these skewers—just thinking about it makes our mouths water! And for dinner, if you don't want to go for tapas, you can pair them with a delicious cheeseburger with tomato, lettuce, and more.
Now that you know how to make Manchego cheese skewers, we recommend that you give them a try as soon as possible because once you taste their flavor...
You won't understand what you've been waiting for!